Understanding DUI Alcohol in Washington
Driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious crime. DUI laws in Washington are among the toughest in the nation. If convicted, outcomes result in heavy fines, loss of license, or even jail time. You should understand these laws as well as how to protect your rights in the event you are charged with DUI. This is no time to go it alone. You need an ally to fight your case, defend your freedoms, and work to keep your driver's license intact.
The expertise of a seasoned DUI defense attorney is imperative if you are arrested for driving under the influence. Not only should your attorney be well versed in all local DUI laws, but also understanding of your situation and the consequences of a DUI conviction on your life.
Following are the penalties for driving under the influence in Washington.
Determination of DUI
You can be charged with DUI if the results of a breath or blood test reveal a BAC (blood alcohol content) of:
- .08 or higher for adults 21 and over
- .02 or higher for minors under 21
- .04 or higher for commercial vehicle drivers
Penalties for DUI
- Depending on prior offenses, or if you are involved in a serious accident, you can lose your license anywhere from 90 days to four years.
- Jail time can range from 24 hours to four years, again depending on prior offenses.
- Fines can run up to $5,000.
- An ignition interlock device may be installed on your vehicle for even a first offense.
Refusal to submit to chemical test
As with many states, Washington is an implied consent state. This means that by accepting your driver's license, you also consent to chemical testing for suspected DUI. Refusal to take a chemical test results in loss of license from one to three years.
As you can see, penalties for DUI conviction are serious. You face losing your license, paying exorbitant fines, and even jail time. During this confusing and frightening time, you need experienced defense on your side. Your attorney will work to reduce or even drop the charges against you. If you have been charged with DUI, contact a Tacoma DUI defense law firm today.